With Mother’s Day around the corner, I bet you are wondering how to treat mom without breaking a sweat. I’ve got just the solution for you – the perfect breakfast, easy enough to make, pretty on a plate and a special treat for the taste buds.
In collaboration with the Mushroom Farmers’ Association of South Africa, here is a recipe worth trying on Mother’s Day:
Mushroom & Cheese Soufflé Toasts
Makes 4 toasts
150g button or portabellini mushrooms, sliced
3 spring onions, sliced
25ml cake flour
80ml milk, hot
5ml Dijon mustard
50g cheddar cheese, grated
salt and milled black pepper
2 eggs, seperated
4 slices white bread, lightly toasted
5ml parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the mushrooms for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the spring onions and cook for another minute. Set aside and reserve one third for garnish.
- Melt the butter in a pan and stir in the flour. Cook for 3 minutes, mixing well.
- Add the hot milk and stir continuously for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the mustard and cheese.
- Allow to cool slightly and stir in the egg yolks and reserved mushroom mixture. Season well with salt and pepper.
- In a spotlessly clean bowl, whisk the egg whites, using an electric whisk, until soft peaks form.
- Carefully fold the egg whites into the mushroom mixture.
- Arrange the toast slices onto a baking sheet and spoon the mixture onto the toasts.
- Bake for 5-6 minutes or until golden and puffy. Serve at once, topped with the reserved mushrooms and some parsley.
Happy Mother’s Day to all the mamas out there.
Image credits: Mushroom Farmers’ Association of South Africa