For me, 2021 is the year for change. I kicked it off with a hairstyle makeover, something I’ve been putting off for a while, and boy do I feel good! Finding a hairdresser who can guide you to choose a hairstyle that suits you, is not always that easy. Luckily I’ve found my home for hair care. Maryke at Hairvolution in Brooklyn, Pretoria always has my back and understood my need for change at the beginning of a unpredictable year and well, here’s the result!
Why the need for change?
Marianna Glynska once wrote that we need changes in life to help us move forward and become better professionals and better personalities. She says that is why even the smallest variations in life can make us look at others and ourselves in a different light and that in itself could bring joy and satisfaction in life.
A hairstyle makeover will certainly not magically turn me into a successful business woman overnight, but it sure made me feel refreshed, rejuvenated and ready to take the world by storm! The process of the change was also – quite interestingly – a pretty big deal as I had to figure out which hairstyle would suit me best. This called for some introspection and consideration and I also had to run this by Wikus, who is always afraid that I might return from the hairdresser with a pixie cut or a purple do!
I enjoyed the process of choosing a hairstyle suitable for my personality and my face so much that I might consider this type of change more often!
What did I change?
It’s been a while now that I’ve been going for a blonder look. I like the colour and it also helps hiding the gray hair that keep appearing. Hairvolution has perfected the colour and I keep going back, because they keep my hair pretty and healthy. So, the only thing we really changed this time around, was my hairstyle and we made a tiny tweak to the colour to give it more of an ash blonde look.
Obviously, with any change to yourself or anything close to you, there will be doubts. I was worried that the hairstyle I chose would not suit the shape of my face, even though I was 80% sure that it would.
At one point I wondered what I would do if the hairstyle was too short, but then I remembered that this was one of the reasons that I keep going back to Hairvolution, because I trust them and their guidance. And, in the end, my hair would grow back after all, so it really wouldn’t be the end of the world if it was a centimetre too short.
How to choose a hairstyle that suits you
- There are numerous face shape guide apps, including free virtual hairstyle apps like Hairstyle Makeover, Hairstyle Magic Mirror and Hairstyles To Try On. If you just need your face shape, try the Face Shape Meter App.
- There are some generally excepted rules about face shapes and hairstyles that most people consider their rule of thumb:
- Oval face shape: Blunt bobs, lobs (long bobs) with subtle layers, long waves or curls work best for oval face shapes.
- Rectangular face shape: Layered cuts, waves, curls, soft and romantic chignons, rounded fringes and curtain bangs are the way to go if you have a rectangular face shape.
- Square face shape: Side-parted styles, long and airy layers, short layered bobs or side-swept bangs will do the trick if you have a square shaped face.
- Triangular face shape: Layers that finish at your eyes, cheekbones or collarbone, choppy pixie cuts and short side bangs might be daring for other facial shapes, but for a triangular face shape they’ll work well.
- Diamond face shape: Mid or long layered cuts worn with tousled waves, deep side parts, chin-length bobs and ponytails are ideal for diamond shaped faces.
- Heart face shape: Long side-swept cuts, waves or curls starting below the ear, side-parted pixies, bobs and lobs (long bobs) can work for heart shaped faces.
- Round face shape: Long layered cuts, choppy pixie cuts or short side bangs are the way to go for round faces.
3. Your hairdresser should have some idea of what would suit your face (and body) shape best, so remember to include him or her in your decision process.
4. Reading up on what your hair colour and the planned hairstyle says about your personality, might also help you decide. They say, for instance, that blondes are carefree, relaxed, earthy, bold and youthful and well, a carefree and relaxed 2021 doesn’t sound too bad.
Keen for a change? Call Hairvolution on 079 879 7231.